Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT ? truck electrical problem

On 9/24/2019 8:22 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 07:56:02 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Â* So when I got my truck back from our son , lots of things that he
just couldn't be bothered to fix . One thing is the radio power supply .
He did tell me that the radio had "died" , turns out the fuse (in the
fuse block) keeps blowing . I've got the dashboard apart enough to check
the wiring harness and supply wires , can't find any cuts or anything
that looks like damaged insulation ... it works just fine sittin' in the
driveway , but within a few miles driving it blows the fuse . I figured
it was the radio/CD player unit so I got a new one , does the same thing
. I'm really puzzled by this , from the way the fuse was spattered it's
got to be a dead short to ground . I think it very unlikely that the new
radio/CD unit is bad - the old one did work when I replaced the fuse ,
for a few miles same as the new unit . This is an '86 GMC pickup , I'm
hoping someone here might be aware of a known problem area that I might
check ... I gotta have tunes !

... 1986 ! ? . . . could be a problem with the 8-track .. :-)

Any signs of mice ?

Any " un-related " non-electrical work done on the truck
that might have disturbed fragile 1986 wiring ?
eg : tilt-steering adjustments by a new driver ?
John T.

Â* No other work has been done that would have caused this . No sign of
mice or any other damage to the wiring . Much as I hate to , it might
come down to opening up the harness to trace this out . Gotta give it
some more thought before I go there .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old