Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default please refresh my memory: what a PFC capacitor does and a reallife example of what it means??

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I understand it doing that,
but not how the power company realy charges for the power.

** They use *wattmeters* that accumulate so becoming "Watt-hour" meters.

Customers get charged for the actual energy used, not merely current over time.

The ones where I live look much like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowa...ebec_meter.JPG

The spinning disk will not move unless both current and voltage of the same polarity exist at the same time.

..... Phil