Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default please refresh my memory: what a PFC capacitor does and a reallife example of what it means??

On 9/22/2019 2:02 PM, Larz wrote:
On 9/22/19 2:42 PM, KenW wrote:
On Sun, 22 Sep 2019 14:30:42 -0400, Larz
wrote:

I recently installed a mercury vapor light fixture.Â* It is a 125 W lamp
with integrated ballast in the housing.Â* Today, I check the current with
a clamp ammeter on the 120 VAC/ 60 Hz line going into the housing.
After a 10 minute warm up, the current reads approximately 2.3 A AC.
Not being sure, I then wired a series multimeter in line for a moment
and it too read 2.3 A.Â* Unfortunately, there is no PFC with this yard
light, only the bulb and ballast, so I don't think anything can be done.
Â* However....

In another set up I have on the way, there is the 175 W MV bulb, ballast
and the PFC capacitor that will be used with the ballast.Â* Any ideas as
to performance would be welcome.Â* I'm just looking for in general as I
realize we can't get too specific without any more figures, but I'm
really hoping the efficiency is better than with the 125 W set up.

Thank you in advance.

Since I have no idea about them I searched for PFC capacitor
and there is plenty of information about them which my help you.

KenW

Ok, this shows me what happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPFKcUxbNuQ

Great refresher!Â* So the capacitor in the mercury vapor circuit should
reduce the current if matched correctly.Â* I wonder why there is no such
capacitor in my 125 W mercury vapor yard light?

Kind of interesting, this website shows an electric motor has a PF of
0.15 with no-load, and 0.7 to 0.85 with a load.
https://www.electricalengineeringtoo...or-common.html

Mikek