Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Catalytic converters

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
I've never had a stud snap where a brass nut was used. As it doesn't
corrode to the stud like a steel one does.

I wouldn't know. We *always* used acetylene ...

I don't have acetylene. But have never had a stud snap where a brass nut
is in place. Steel, often.

Fairly standard Kwik Fit practice if they find brass nuts to throw them
away and replace with nice shiny new steel ones.

And yet whenever a customer felt like trying to beat us down on price,
they always had a relative who was an expert because they worked at Kwik
Fit ....

Hope you don't think I was saying replacing brass nuts with steel is good
practice? No idea why they often do this - perhaps losing the brass ones.
And steel is much cheaper than brass.

Those of us who are of a certain age, can remember when Kwik Fit were
just tyre fitters (exhausts came later). They couldn't even get that
right, and a couple of times we had a call from our local one because a
customer had a Strada (which had a closed rim) and they didn't know how
to change a tyre on one (despite having a machine to do it).

But then PCWorld are "experts", so are Curries. Comet were ... etc etc.

How good any outfit is depends on the individual fitter. And there are
cowboys around everywhere.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.