Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default please refresh my memory: what a PFC capacitor does and a reallife example of what it means??

On Sunday, 22 September 2019 19:30:46 UTC+1, Larz wrote:

I recently installed a mercury vapor light fixture. It is a 125 W lamp
with integrated ballast in the housing. Today, I check the current with
a clamp ammeter on the 120 VAC/ 60 Hz line going into the housing.
After a 10 minute warm up, the current reads approximately 2.3 A AC.
Not being sure, I then wired a series multimeter in line for a moment
and it too read 2.3 A. Unfortunately, there is no PFC with this yard
light, only the bulb and ballast, so I don't think anything can be done.
However....

done about what?

PFC is normally immaterial in domestic discharge lamps. You're not paying for the reactive current.

In another set up I have on the way, there is the 175 W MV bulb, ballast
and the PFC capacitor that will be used with the ballast. Any ideas as
to performance would be welcome.

google mercury lamps to get the figures. They're poor compared to fluorescent, led, sodium or more modern discharge lamps, hence they're obsolete.

I'm just looking for in general as I
realize we can't get too specific without any more figures, but I'm
really hoping the efficiency is better than with the 125 W set up.

Thank you in advance.

higher power discharge lamps do tend to be more efficient, but you're stuck with a poor efficiency lamp. Unless you change the lamp for something compatible & a lot more modern.

NT