Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Thermal Faults

On 22/09/2019 11:46, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

When inspecting a board for the likely cause of an intermittent fault
believed to be induced by warming up over time from switch-on, what/which
is/are the most likely suspects to be considered blameworthy? I'm
guessing dry joints has to be on the list somewhere, but what components
can also give rise to this issue?

Not much to go on.

Age of board? What does it do? Digital?

Old caps can go leaky losing capacitance with temperature. If they were
decoupling something from interference ...

I'd scope out the power supply rails with a DSO, maybe you might catch
something. Can you arrange a trigger when the fault occurs?

--
Adrian C