Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Straightening a bib tap...

On 21 Sep 2019 11:42:33 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

I fitted a couple of bib taps for a friend and when I left them they were
vertical but I only had wodges of PTFE tape to wrap the threads with and
it¢s really too squidgy for the job. The taps are now skewiff.

I suspect it¢s plumbers hemp that I need, but don¢t have. What are suitable
alternatives that I might have kicking around (even if not strictly legal
these days)?

Tim

Mine were 'worst case' - one was correct and the other was a long way out
and would have needed a shedload of something.
I swapped them over and they were both almost the amount out but still too
much for tape. I didn't try to adjust by a part turn but looked at the
plastic washers I had and found some just the right ID. They got me to a
small bit out and then some tape did the rest.
Trimmed off the outer part of the washers and they're hardly noticeable now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away