Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Straightening a bib tap...

On 21/09/2019 12:42, Tim+ wrote:

I fitted a couple of bib taps for a friend and when I left them they were
vertical but I only had wodges of PTFE tape to wrap the threads with and
its really too squidgy for the job. The taps are now skewiff.

I suspect its plumbers hemp that I need, but dont have. What are suitable
alternatives that I might have kicking around (even if not strictly legal
these days)?

I can't remember the number unfortunately, but Loctite used to do a
white thread sealant for pipework - we used to use it at work where PTFE
tape was banned. You used to put it on the male thread, screw it into
position and allow to set. It set rock hard, although it was (just)
possible to unscrew it if necessary.

SteveW