Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default My garage has an Asbestolux? ceiling.

On 21/09/2019 08:40, PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 18:16:37 +0100, Mike Halmarack wrote:

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 17:54:25 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 20/09/2019 13:43, Mike Halmarack wrote:

So do the other 27 flat owners in this block, as far as I'm aware.
I want to work in the garage, so can I have it plastered over, or does
it need to be removed completely?
A very nice old neighbour told me I should let sleeping dogs lie.
But then, I don't think he wants to tinker about in his garage.

Its a cement board with fibre re-enforcement. So in itself if left
undisturbed, very low risk with only a small amount (~5% IIRC) white
asbestos fibre.

No risk at all unless you are machining it. So if all you need is a
ceiling, paint it and leave it alone.

If you must remove it, damp it down, and double bag it before taking to
the tip (many will take that kind of asbestos panel in small quantities).

I thinke I'll go for a coat of paint. A thick one. Thanks.

I looked at a bitumastic paint for the outside of such a roof - the
instructions included cleaning the roof with a wire brush! This is for a
paint intended for the purpose - I didn't use it.

Painting with SBR also works very well to soak in and consolidate
anything lose or friable IME. (much more effective than PVA)

--
Cheers,

John.