Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC outside Broadcasts Why?

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 17:33:35 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Youngster. None at all until I was 8 or so, and they built a local BBC
TV transmitter.

We didn't get anything in Edinburgh until Coronation year - I was 13!

Didn't realise the capital was so much later than Glasgow. The temporary
Aberdeen one at Redmoss was in place for the coronation too.

They were both served by Kirk o'Shotts, which (according to Pawley)
actually opened on 17 August 1952. Not having parents who were interested
in TV I didn't note the date.

I should have read this before posting. Looking again, there exists
the possibility that the whole service area was not reached from the
start.

The BBC 405-line television service in Scotland started from Kirk
o'Shotts on 14 March 1952 using low power reserve transmitters
(Marconi). Full service began on 17 August 1952 using the main high
power transmitters. Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_o...itting_station

Maybe parts of Glasgow were served before parts of Edinburgh?

Sounds like it since Charles is likely correct. The one at Aberdeen was
temporary too. Situated close to town along with the MF transmitters. The
later permanent one at Old Meldrum, along with the FM transmitters.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.