Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default My garage has an Asbestolux? ceiling.

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:14:50 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 20/09/2019 13:43, Mike Halmarack wrote:
So do the other 27 flat owners in this block, as far as I'm aware.
I want to work in the garage, so can I have it plastered over, or does
it need to be removed completely?
A very nice old neighbour told me I should let sleeping dogs lie.
But then, I don't think he wants to tinker about in his garage.

He is right. Unless you intend to drill holes in it or
abrade it in any way, just ignore it.

Paint it with oil-based or intumescent paint if it bothers
you.

It does bother me, if it can be regarded as a health hazard.
And I like the idea of minimum intervention, so painting the ceiling
seems like quite an attractive idea.

Do you mean 'ceiling' or roof ?.

Ceiling.

Are the garages at ground
level with the flats above ?.

They're separate from the residences but I suspect the asbestos
ceiling is meant to be a fire stop anyway.

If so, that is your fire
barrier and the freeholder is responsible for it. If you
do anything that might affect the fire resistance then you
are liable.

Maybe the fire resistence would be somewhat affected by the
application of paint.
--

Mike

---