Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Maytag gas range problem

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 3:45:46 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/19/2019 2:16 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In Ed Pawlowski writes:

On 9/19/2019 12:46 PM, Wade Gattett wrote:
On 9/19/19 12:14 PM, Bob G wrote:
replying to KW, Bob G wrote:
No idea how to fix it.ÂÂ* I'd consider getting a cheap UPS to plug it
into if
you get frequent outages.

You should have hit SEND right after your first sentence ;-)

If there is space to put one, it may actually work. Gas ranges don't
take much power. We get an occasional 5 second blip and the clock has
to be reset. If the oven was out of use for four hours and you have a
half baked cake, it would be a loss

don't be so sure about the "don't take much power" (lectricity).

It's pretty common for the gas range tops to use
a spark ignior that shuts off once you've started
and then adjusted the flame, but...

... but, many gas stoves use an electric glow/heat plate
which is on _the entire time_ the oven gas is cycled
on [a]. And these can pull hundreds of watts. Steadily.

Just checked the nameplate on my range. 5 amps.

And that's assuming it's on and I'd bet the actual is quite a bit less.
When not on, it's probably an order of magnitude less.
If the OP used one, the stove could likely go for a long time
on a modest UPS if it was not used. And if used for 10 minutes to
heat up something, it pulls max 600W for that period.

As for placement, my last stove had space in the back if you had it on
the floor. You could put it in the cabinet next to the stove too.
Ideal would be to find the reason it takes four hours, of course, but a
$40 UPS is cheaper than a $400 circuit board.

Agree

But I don't see the problem worth fixing. The igniters work as soon as
the power comes back on. That means at least the burners work, not
sure about the oven. I could live with that, at least here the power
doesn't go out enough that it's a big deal.