Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Maytag gas range problem

On 9/19/2019 2:16 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In Ed Pawlowski writes:

On 9/19/2019 12:46 PM, Wade Gattett wrote:
On 9/19/19 12:14 PM, Bob G wrote:
replying to KW, Bob G wrote:
No idea how to fix it.ÂÂ* I'd consider getting a cheap UPS to plug it
into if
you get frequent outages.

You should have hit SEND right after your first sentence ;-)

If there is space to put one, it may actually work. Gas ranges don't
take much power. We get an occasional 5 second blip and the clock has
to be reset. If the oven was out of use for four hours and you have a
half baked cake, it would be a loss

don't be so sure about the "don't take much power" (lectricity).

It's pretty common for the gas range tops to use
a spark ignior that shuts off once you've started
and then adjusted the flame, but...

... but, many gas stoves use an electric glow/heat plate
which is on _the entire time_ the oven gas is cycled
on [a]. And these can pull hundreds of watts. Steadily.

[a] most gas ovens, to my surprise when I first discovered
this decades ago, are "fully on/fully off" [b] and
the thermostat controls the cycle duration.

[b] the older, non-electric-ignition ones, might
keep a small pilot light running the whole time
you're using it.

We had to get rid of a seven year old Maytag electric range a while back
because of the panel and oven temperature sensor. PITA and now I see
they put them on gas ranges.