News

Default Power cost of idle electric water heater

"Phil Sherrod" wrote in message

On 30-Mar-2004, "News" wrote:

Tankless take up far less space than a large cylinder, one its main
advantages. I have seen these used in commercial kitchen on faucets

where
they are on for the best part of an hour. They can deliver 12 litres

per
minute continuously and never run out. That is 720 litres per hour

(190.2
US gallons per hour) running out of the tap. 190 gallons? that is quite

size of storage cylinder you would need when a small white box on the

wall
does it without taking up all that space.

Agreed. That is the primary advantage of tankless heaters.

What I disagree with is the assertion made by others that they save

significant
money over a tank heater.

Condensing versions do. See:
http://www.ravenheat.co.uk/productsCSI85.htm

Once again I am not drawn to this company's products, but the explanation is
OK. This is a European "combi" a white box on the wall that supplies
infinitely continuous hot water and can heat the house too with no large
storage tanks or cylinders. The European's are far in advance of the USA in
this market. The USA has only recently adopted "tankless" water heaters
(instantaneous in the UK). These have bee around since the 1920-30s. The
USA is ahead in forced air systems, which I tend to like when design
correctly, but most in the UK hate because we tried to fit them and didn't
have a clue.