Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default More news the BBC and guardian will ignore...

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 18 September 2019 12:47:50 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 11:14:11 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Don't forget the decades of the UK public not bothering to vote in a
EU
election because they had already realised that an MEP had absolutely
no
power and it didn't matter a toss who got in.

Oddly, the same is being said about our parliament too. Proved by the
low
turnout in so many by elections . If a turnout is how you gauge such
things.

We were polled recently re making quite a large area of the locality
permit parking.

Was this a binary question because my borough asked
this too. I decided not to 'vote' on any of the options as
I don't have a car so it made little differnce to my life.

Because the issue of commuters using the area as a park-and-ride, the
main issue is only seen by those very near the station and who are
there during the day. They go out in their car and can't park near
their house upon return.

Those leaving their cars at home and using the train to get to work,
or driving and only returning after the rush hour aren't so affected.

I do wonder why some have cars if they don;t drive to work
and the car spends most of the time outside their own home.

Because if you live in the congestion zone and work there too,
it makes more sense to only use the car for the shopping etc
instead of trying to lug the grocerys around on public transport.

So, AFAIK, nothing has been done about the parking scheme
because in reality, it would make the lives of many many people
more complicated and expensive and so few returned the poll.

So what does that actually mean, do locals want restrictions
in place so they can park their own cars outside, or is it they
like the idea of not parking outsdie their own homes ?

So, like Brexit, very few people actually wanted it and a few more
could be persuaded / suckered into going along with it because they
are on the margins or know someone who is affected by it and who might
not have a car themselves (or have off-road-parking sufficient for
them and their visitors / family etc).

So how does that prove who is right and who is wrong.
Are yuo saying residents shouldn't expect to be able to park outside their
own homes of should communtors get priority during working hours.

What would be *better* of course is to provide adequate parking
capacity near the railway

I guess you could builld more land.

or reduce the rates if the existing parking
isn't fully utilised.

and make less money doesn;t seem very practicle.

What they shouldn't do is push the problem onto
people who may not be using the station in the first place but making
it easier for people to park and ride,

Great idea but how.

if that is better for the
environment.

It would be better for the enviroment if the majoroty of petrol/diesel
cars were banned from cities.
you either get an electric car or learn how to walk or bike it.

Cheers, T i m