Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Downsizing

On 9/18/2019 12:19 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The top of my workbench is 1/2 inch solid steel with holes drilled
and threaded for my vice. It comes off pretty easy if I need to have
more space on my bench. I have a second vice I can clamp to wherever
if required as well as both a zyliss and a B&D portable vice. The
Zyliss makes a decent work stand for working on bicycles when clamped
to a workmate - - - -

I have 5 vices all mounted permanently to work benches. Portable vices
I've never needed, unless you call a myriad of clamps portable vices,
which I guess they are.

My bench grinder on the other hand is mounted on a piece of wood and it
sits freely on my work bench. I never clamp it, bolt it or anything and
it doesn't move a speck. If it was on a free standing mobile base, I
would want it heavy enough not to be easily knocked over, but as far as
it moving in use, not happening with anything I've used my grinder for,
ever. I've never had a need to move my grinder. I can pick it up and
move it anywhere, but just never needed to.
--
Jack