Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Downsizing

DerbyDad03 writes:
On 9/15/2019 6:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: On Friday, September 13, 2019
at 5:08:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I can't imagine putting my bench vise on a portable stand unless it had
something like a semi-truck wheel filled with concrete for the bottom
base part.

I think you have a different idea of a "mobile base" than I meant.

By mobile base, I meant a piece of 6/4 poplar large enough to bolt the vise to with about 6
inches on either side for clamps. Once it's clamped to the workbench, it's no less sturdy than
it was when it was bolted to the workbench.

I bolted my metalworking vise to some 3/4" plywood, with a cleat screwed across the bottom
of the plywood.

Locate the cleat in the front-vise on the workbench and tighten the vise.

I did the same with the Marsh Tool (later Stanley #100) mitre box.