Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Storage

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 23:45:15 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 12:30:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 2:29:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 1:09:15 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Glad Large size boxes hold 5 lbs of screws, if you need something a
little tougher (or water proof) than the cardboard box they came in.
They're cheap at Menards, less than $3 for 3.

Other sizes of containers are also useful. I found some worthless in
the kitchen extra small square size containers were ideal for holding
screws as I disassembled a project for painting.

Plastic zip-top bags are great for storing related parts within larger
containers. One such box has various plumbing fittings, and finding
what I need is a matter of flipping through a few bags rather than
digging through an entire drawer full.

Any storage ideas you guys would like to share?

Puckdropper

Not sure it really qualifies for this category. But with my tool chests (Craftsman!!!!!!!), the skinny drawers are much better for keeping my tools or stuff organized and findable than the deeper drawers. In the deep drawers everything gets piled on top of each other and its hard to get anything out once you find it. Skinny drawers keep everything visible and not on top of anything else.

So when buying tool chests, look for chests with lots of skinny drawers and not a few deep drawers.

The deep drawers are for the stuff that doesn't fit in the skinny
drawers.

The shallow drawers on mine are fine for 3/8" socket sets but my half
inch stuff is always getting jammed up. My problem is I have too many
tools for my 26 inch box and cabinet. I used to have 2 "saddle" boxes
on the sides - just doors to hang stuff in - but they don't work where
I have it now. The main chest has 3 full width drawers about 3 inches
deep, and 6 shallow drawers each 1/3 the width of the box and 1 to 1
1/2 inch deep, and one about 6 inches deep 1/3 the width of the box.
The bottom chest is 42 inches tall with a bin and several 4 inch deep
full widths as well as a bunch of narrow shallow drawers - All full -
and that's none of the power tools - or wooldworking tools, or lathe
tools - or electronics tools, or even most of my test equipment.