Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Downsizing

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 20:25:26 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

On 9/15/2019 6:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: On Friday, September 13, 2019
at 5:08:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:

...snip...

Think multiple bases for different pieces of equipment. While these are
not large pieces, I my vice, grinder, hand miter box, bolted to a 2 X.
When I need the vice I pull it off the shelf and clamp it to my
workbench.

...snip...

You talked me into it. I've been trying to decide how to get my vice

out of
the way, so I just unbolted it from the workbench and bolted it to a

portable
base.

I can't imagine putting my bench vise on a portable stand unless it had
something like a semi-truck wheel filled with concrete for the bottom
base part.

I think you have a different idea of a "mobile base" than I meant.

By mobile base, I meant a piece of 6/4 poplar large enough to bolt the vise to with about 6
inches on either side for clamps. Once it's clamped to the workbench, it's no less sturdy than
it was when it was bolted to the workbench. Only now it's "mobile" in that I can clamp it
anywhere I want, including the picnic table or (shhhh) the dining room table. ;-)

The top of my workbench is 1/2 inch solid steel with holes drilled
and threaded for my vice. It comes off pretty easy if I need to have
more space on my bench. I have a second vice I can clamp to wherever
if required as well as both a zyliss and a B&D portable vice. The
Zyliss makes a decent work stand for working on bicycles when clamped
to a workmate - - - -