Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Storage

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 14:43:10 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 9/17/2019 1:09 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Glad Large size boxes hold 5 lbs of screws, if you need something a
little tougher (or water proof) than the cardboard box they came in.
They're cheap at Menards, less than $3 for 3.

Other sizes of containers are also useful. I found some worthless in
the kitchen extra small square size containers were ideal for holding
screws as I disassembled a project for painting.

Plastic zip-top bags are great for storing related parts within larger
containers. One such box has various plumbing fittings, and finding
what I need is a matter of flipping through a few bags rather than
digging through an entire drawer full.

Any storage ideas you guys would like to share?

If SWMBO happens to buy individual cups of Jello, fruit or pudding,
don't let her toss or recycle the translucent cup when empty. Rinse
them out and stack them (they nest wonderfully) in a cabinet in the shop.

Tearing something down and need a place to park the screws, nuts,
washers, etc.? They are ideal.

Touching up some paint or finish? Yep, use them and toss them.

Just very handy for about anything you can think of. Combine them with
the el cheapo paint brushes from Harbor Freight and do away with cleanup
time.

Right on with the Zip-Lock bags. I also keep boxes of the various sizes
handy in the shop. Keep all the parts handy for a job so you're not
digging through a tool box/bag and, when you're done with the job, you
can empty them out into wherever you normally store them.

I keep a couple of the Rubbermaid storage tubs (with the press on lids)
in the garage. One holds plumbing bits and pieces, the other electrical
connectors, boxes, outlets, switches. etc.

" Only in Canada you say .. "

milk bags - yup ... milk - in bags !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_bag

Not really for shop use - although they are heavier than
most zip-lock baggies ~ like freezer zip lock
We re-use these - with a twist-tie - to put-up a lot of freezer
foods. Great for that long cheese slab in the fridge.
For the paintbrush - between coats.
a paint roller will not fit - but you can use 2 bags
Plastic peanut butter / mayo tubs - semi clear seem
to hold-up better than clear - long-term in cold temps.
Use them for temporary parts storage ; craft parts ; painting ;
you-name-it ... they're free ..
For a larger clear-ish plastic container - mixed nuts from Costco ;
birdseed ;
Re-use 'em and blue-box 'em ..
We've just recently had wax-cartons milk, ice cream, etc
excluded from our re-cycling stream .. heads-up landfill !
John T.