Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default PC problem.

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 17:33:50 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

On 17/09/2019 17:14, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Play around and it will sometimes boot but crashes soon afterwards.

Might be worth seeing if you can boot it and see the PSU voltages in the
advanced section of the BIOS or diagnostics (if they are provided).

Vcore 1.40v
3.3 3.32
5 5.02
12 12.22

All from the bios page.

They all look OK to me - but not sure what Vcore should be.

Maybe remove any additional PCI/(e) cards that are optional
to reduce the loading and see what happens.

Doesn't it give a series of audible beeps that indicates
what the fault could be ?.

But not if the PSU itself goes into thermal shutdown under load.

Good time to upgrade to a 80+ PSU to save on leccy,
assuming it is standard PSU size.

If the national voltage and frequency went down too low
back in august, I wonder how many 'odd' failings are
occuring all around the country with all manner of
stuff.

Switched mode PSU's tolerate brownouts remarkably well. My recollection
from the old days of tube based VDUs is that the monitor would fail to
light up the screen before the PC stopped working when we did voltage
tolerance tests on things expected to have a rough service life.

Most computer PSUs I've used will shut off after a 1 second powercut. You really need a UPS.