Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Downsizing

On 9/17/2019 12:55 AM, wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 4:18:33 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I do have a couple bench grinders mounted on a stand that
has a pickup truck wheel filled with concrete for a base. It works
pretty good.

Not sure why you think so much weight is necessary for a bench

grinder. I have two bench grinders on Harbor Freight metal stands. The
grinders are mounted on wood blocks bolted to the top of the stands.
Stand weighs 5 pounds. Each grinder weighs 25 to 50 pounds. They work
perfectly fine for grinding metal. When I use a bench grinder I let the
1800 or 3600 rpm spinning wheels take the metal off. I don't use all my
muscle and weight to force the metal into the wheel. Not necessary.
The spinning wheels grind the metal off more than fast enough. And help
to keep the metal cooler, which is important.

Why do you feel the need to minimize the safety of a heavy stable base?
You do you, and I'll do me.

I choose a heavy stable base (100+ lbs maybe a lot more), because I am
not the only person in the shop sometimes. Sometimes I share my shop
with my son and his fellow engineering students when they are working on
a project. When there are 4 of them in the shop I can't lean over the
shoulder of every single one. Best I can do sometimes is look around
and make sure all of them are atleast wearing a face shield, their hair
is tied back, and nobody has jewelry or long sleeves on. Heck I would
prefer the grinders were bolted to the floor, but I need to move them
once in a while. Also there are more than one on that stand. Soon
there may be three. I can guarantee if I used a flimsy telescoping tube
discount store stand it would be 100% unsafe to do that. But like I
said. You do you, and I'll do me. I prefer the safer approach. If it
makes you feel better to belittle my choice and make false presumptions
about my grinding technique and skills have at it. I promise I won't
hold it against you. Its just you being you.

.... BUT THE POINT IS I can't imagine putting a bench VISE on a mobile
stand unless it had a very large heavy stable base.