Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Extending a cable with crimps

On 16/09/2019 14:16, Andrew wrote:
On 16/09/2019 13:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2019 13:38, Andrew wrote:
On 16/09/2019 11:20, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2019 10:24, Tricky Dicky wrote:
When I re-site the CU the cable to the shower will need extending
this will be a temporary measure until we do the bathroom following
the kitchen. Once the bathroom is done this cable will be redundant,
unfortunately part of this cable will be buried in plaster. I am
hoping as it goes through the loft I can pull a few metres of new
cable through. If I cannot replace the cable the join will be in an
inaccessible place in the loft or buried in the plaster. Can I use
crimps in either of these situations and what additional insulation
do I need to use eg. heatshrink, self amalgamating tape or other?

Crimps and heatshrink would be the usual preferred option.

10 mm cable though ??

Large crimps, and a bigger crimp tool...

However sometimes with a bit of lateral thought, you can change the
problem enough to make another solution more appropriate.

Say for example, pulling the cable to the shower back from the old CU
into the loft, and pulling in a new section of cable from the new CU
to the loft. Then you can use a large high capacity JB in a location
that *is* accessible to join the cables, and all you need bury in
plaster is a bit of the new cable.

Problem is, a racket crimper for 10mm is going to cost upwards of
£40, and you could get 15 mtres of 10mm t&e for that price.

Indeed, hence other options... although you do get the keep the crimper
for next time!

As a one off, you may be better using solder and heat shrink (although
you will probably need small flame to get enough heat into 10mm^2)

--
Cheers,

John.