Default Advice on home repairs before selling?

When I tried the vanilla trick, the very next looker became a buyer.
-B

wrote in message
On 30 Mar 2004 21:57:35 GMT, (Rileyesi) wrote:

We are considering selling our house. There are some major projects

(i.e.
putting a bedroom and additional bath in the basement) and some minor

prouects
(i.e. calking, painting, etc.) that we are considering doing to up the

resale
value of the house.

I was wondering if there is an information source that I can read to get

advice
on what should be done. In other words, what should we focus on to get

the
biggest bang for our buck??

Kind of an open ended question, I realize, but if you don't ask you don't

get a
"yes", I figure!

Thanks.

Probably the best information source is a good realtor familiar with
your neighbourhood.

Most homes cannot carry the cost of remodelling. Unless yours is a
walkout basement, it is unlikely you will get more than fifty percent
of the cost in added value -- and even that much is questionable.
Same thing applies to upgrading countertops, sinks, faucets and so on.

Unless you're a fix and flip expert, don't take on any significant
changes -- focus on making what you have as attractive as possible.

As to gettting bang for the buck in a house you're selling ...

1) Curb appeal, curb appeal, curb appeal!!!! Clean, neat, nicely
painted, no litter, debris, etc.

2) Remove fifty percent of the stuff you have in each closet. Pack
it away neatly (you're moving, aren't you?).

3) Nothing on the closet floor. Repeat, nothing. Makes closets
look bigger.

4) If you're like most people, cut down the furniture in each room
by thirty percent.

5) Clean carpets. No ... repeat, no ... area rugs on hardwood.

6) Clean walls, baseboards, casings, etc. Paint if required.
Paint if PINK.

7) Get rid of all unsightly things, especially those which could
sabotage a sale -- for example, extension cords tell buyers there
aren't enough outlets.

8) Keep the house clean and fresh. A drop of vanilla extract on an
electric burner leaves a great smell.

Ken