AlienZen

Default Advice on home repairs before selling?

wrote in message
On 30 Mar 2004 21:57:35 GMT, (Rileyesi) wrote:

We are considering selling our house. There are some major projects (i.e.
putting a bedroom and additional bath in the basement) and some minor

prouects
(i.e. calking, painting, etc.) that we are considering doing to up the resale
value of the house.

I was wondering if there is an information source that I can read to get

advice
on what should be done. In other words, what should we focus on to get the
biggest bang for our buck??

Kind of an open ended question, I realize, but if you don't ask you don't get

"yes", I figure!

Thanks.

Probably the best information source is a good realtor familiar with
your neighbourhood.

This is the key statement. Talk to a realtor.

Regarding the basement, I don't know what code is in your area, but where I
live, a basement cannot be counted as living space unless the home was
originally constructed that way. It can be listed as "finished", but nothing
more. Thus, all improvements go towards sellability, but do not reap dollar one
for increasing living space as the finished rooms cannot be counted as bedrooms,
or a family room, although, I do believe they can count the additional
bathroom....

Let the new owners do their own construction. Your best bet is to detail out the
house, so the buyers have less to point to as needing repair when they make
their offer. Paint, caulk, fix that leaky faucet, etc...

Mike