Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Downsizing

wrote:

.. not in answer to your question - but f w i w :
A long time ago, and for ~ 10 years, my Craftsman 10 inch
radial arm saw was the only shop machine I owned.
I had no problem ripping full 2 inch softwood and hardwood.
.. no anti kickback - just a lot of care & consideration when
pushng it through. and a decent blade.
I'm not saying that it's a good choice for you to keep -
and it's not a good choice for ripping - but it can be done.

Having just the RAS out there means less stuff to work around when it
comes time to turn the garage into a nice working space. Learning how
to rip on the RAS safely will help keep the stuff in there to a minimum.

I'm hoping not to need to do a lot of ripping, but I know projects will
require it. Right now, getting a few home projects done is priority
number one. The garage will be done later.

circular saw ? not sure why that is in your list of shop machines ?

Most tools get used less when a similar stationary tool is purchased.
Circular saws get used more.

If there is a seniors woodworking center available - you might
consider a membership - for the big professional shop machines -
with big professional dust collection -
- and concentrate on nice little "hand tools" for home ..
ie: router table ; table top belt sander sharpener !
John T.

I wonder if there's a usable space around here? We've got a big
college, so maybe? It's worth a look.

Puckdropper