Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Hoping to de-modernise flat heating system.

On 15/09/2019 14:14, wrote:
On Sunday, 15 September 2019 13:57:36 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
Probably an idiot-boy question: why would the meter need to be replaced
for E7 or E10 when it is labelled "Multi Rate Single Phase Watt Meter"?

A very sensible question.

The existing meter needs an external timeswitch or teleswitch to (a) change the meter from rate 1 to rate 2; and (b) to connect the heating load only at off-peak times. It only has L and N supply, and single L and N for load.

More modern meters include their own timeswitch or radioteleswitch (or smart meter equivalent) and have separate Live outputs for 24-hour *and* off-peak, so there is no need for any timeswitch or contactor to control the heating load, and the heating load switching cannot get out of synch with the meter rate changing.

I asked as I hadn't seen or heard of a supplier fitting Smart Meters
twin outputs, preferring to leave the switching on the consumer's side.
I'd got it into my head (possibly from a rogue dispiration particle*)
they deprecated anything but a single output these days with a view to
tariffs with more than 2 tiers.

*the nasty cousins of inspiration particles that

This is also a bona fide application of smart metering - the heating load charging periods can be moved to accommodate varying demand on the grid.

It also makes for a much neater installation with usually only 1 henley block needed to split the neutral (and not even that if a dual tariff board is fitted)

Owain

--
Robin