Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default electric shortage and Acorn stairlift

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 15 Sep 2019 04:46:48 -0700 (PDT), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 7:12:56 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Do the people who need it get upstairs also need it to get downstairs?

I'm sure some people need it because their balance is compromised. Down
might be more problematic than up for them.

Cindy Hamilton

You're right. That's certainly true going down a steep hill (outside),
compared to going up.

I thought I would find evasive language in other ads but certainly
didnt' in all of of them:

stair-lifts
Results 1 - 10 - Because your stair lift is powered by 24V DC batteries,
it will continue to operate during a power outage. Depending on the
model, your stair lift can get anywhere from 10-40 trips per charge
during a power outage." Hoveround

10 to 40 trips. That's more like it.

https://www.stannah-stairlifts.com › always-active
Your stairlift keeps going, even in a power outage. ... Stannah
stairlifts don't stop because you've lost power, because they're fitted
with batteries that are constantly trickle-charged from an outlet near
your stairs. If the main power supply cuts out, the batteries take over
and get you safely to your destination.

Weasel words. So you'll finish one trip, but who knows about a full
trip? https://www.stannah-stairlifts.com/always-active/ The webpage
claims no more than the google entry. The difference between this and
10 trips is amazing.

NO particular brand mentioned here oops, later it refers to a "your
Handicare stairlift", but it does use the word Outage, not Shortage.
Acorn is looking like the worst.
Myth #2: A stair lift will stop working when there is a power outage.
Contrary to popular belief, stair lifts are not hardwired into your
home, but instead are DC battery powered and simply plug into your wall
to be recharged. They store a reservoir of power in their batteries so
in the event of a power failure, they will be able to move up and down
the staircase because they draw on the power stored in their batteries.
These batteries typically store enough power for multiple trips up and
downs stairs: the exact number of trips will depend on the type
(straight vs. curved) and length of your staircase as well as the
amperage of the batteries. The batteries recharge when the stairlift is
left on a park point. Some stairlifts will charge wherever they are left
on their track. This feature is called ‘Continuous Charge’.

http://www.thestairlift.com/whathapp...weroutage.html
If there is a home electrical power failure during a power outage, the
DC battery powered chair lift will operate for as long as the batteries
last for (typically 20 round trips).

A fully charged battery will complete approximately 15 to 20 return
trips on an average staircase. The actual number is dependent on the
length of stairs, angle of the staircase and the weight of the user.

With normal use, the batteries stay good for an average of 3 years. They
cost in the region of $70.00 per pair. Typical cost for a 12V battery is
$35 each.

I don't expect to ever need one of these things. And there are 2
corners on my stairs so it would be really slow. I think I'd rather
crawl up the stairs if it comes to that. But someone else might want
one and so far, no Acorn or Stannah.