Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Stop/ start - fail

On 15/09/2019 10:35, Andrew wrote:
On 14/09/2019 18:53, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I drove my first 'stop/start' vehicle today. Press the brake pedal
down and the engine stops, apply the handbrake and release the
foot-brake and the engine restarts - what a pointless system for
anyone who drives properly and uses the handbrake.

Apart from hill starts, who uses the handbrake these days ?.

Dont even use it for that. hold the car on the foot brake

I just leave it parked in 1st gear hand brake OFF, unless
I happen to be parked (rarely) on more than a slight gradient.

I just leave it parked in PARK...

And if anyone bumps into the back of your car, even at low
speed, the parking pawl inside the gearbox just snaps off,
according to my ex-MOT tester neighbour, whereas a manual
car will just move slightly as the transmission takes up
the impact and turns the engine slightly.