Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Stop/ start - fail

On 15/09/2019 10:29, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 15/09/2019 09:51, Rod Speed wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message

[snip]

Highway code rule 114

[snip]

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking
brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot
off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will
minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

But they dont in fact ever fine people for not doing the stuff in
that last para.

Note that it says 'should apply the parking brake' i.e. not 'must'. So
unlike the previous two paragraphs it's advisory, not mandatory, and
there's no offence to be fined for.

I think you would be very unlucky to get fined for not displaying your
brake lights and were rear ended whilst waiting at a T junction.

Although I do keep them on when traffic comes to an unexpected
standstill [1] on Motorways and dual carriageways.

[1] or a slowdown that I could manage just by letting off the
accelerator as I might be able to see what someone behind my van cannot
see due to the fact they cannot see through the van and are not sat up
as high as I am.

--
Adam