Posted to uk.net.news.management,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default What groups across Usenet are still well-used for their intended purpose?

Chronos wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

I'd not go near Facebook they are just data harvesters

That's bull****. The groups leave the alternatives for dead.

This, in a nutshell.

In a dog turd, actually.

It's also reinventing the wheel.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

Take Slack, for example, which is just IRC with a fancy interface
and horribly centralised infrastructure, monetised to death. You
could do exactly the same thing with a well tended XMPP server
and a few plugins, minus the irritations.

But no one would would know about it like they do with Facebook.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of
these newer communications portals.

Yep, you actually are that stupid.

It just feels like the basic transfer of information
these days has to be dressed up in useless chrome
and flashing ads before it gains any legitimacy at all,

Its actually about doing it in a way that most are aware of and find useful.

so much so that the information itself
becomes secondary, almost an afterthought.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

People who not only don't need but cannot
use all of that have been quietly sidelined.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that's saying something.

All of that is before we even mention the
intrusive monitoring and Big Data wallahs.

Trivial to avoid any of that.