Posted to uk.d-i-y
Caecilius[_2_] Caecilius[_2_] is offline

Default Stop/ start - fail

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 19:36:03 +0100, Paddy Dzell wrote:
We have a Lexus RX450h hybrid and if I drive like I was taught to 44
years ago, ie, stop at red traffic lights, handbrake on and select
neutral, the hybrid system doesn't work because it takes a signal from
the brake pedal switch.

So, when approaching a red light I have to brake the car to a stop,
leave it in D rather than shifting to N, and keep my foot on the
brakes. You don't use the handbrake at all unless you're going to be
stopped for a while.

The engine stops as the car comes to rest and restarts either when you
press the accelerator or if still stopped but the hybrid battery is
getting low, but if the car is in N then the engine would not restart
to recharge the hybrid battery.

The RX450h will operate the hybrid system normally if you put the
gearbox in park instead of neutral.