Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Downsizing

On 9/13/2019 2:08 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 9/13/2019 12:22 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 9/13/2019 8:54 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I don't have as much shop space any more, as my shop now has to share
duties with a garage.

So between a bandsaw, jointer, planer, RAS, table saw, and circular

saw,
what tools can be combined to cover the basic operations we need to do?
Crosscut, rip, and maybe resaw. I'm not sure I trust my RAS to rip,
it's missing important pieces like the anti-kickback pawls.

Puckdropper

I was just talking about this on Hobby Machinist in a thread titled

Least Used Machines.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...machines/page4
I'd probably let the RAS go first. Bandsaw would probably be the
LAST machine to go. I happen to have 4 bandsaws and I use all of them.
LOL. Second to last would probably be the table saw. If its a cabinet
saw with leaves or built into a central workstation it can do everything
all the other saws can do except curved cuts and cutting steel.
Before you get rid of anything, review ways you can mobilize your

work shop. I have seen garage workshops that are quite well equipped,
but because of the design the garage is capable of taking all of the
wood working equipment plus the cars.

Think of placing things on wheels" My workbench and table saw are on

wheels. When not in use they fit compactly along the Wall. When in
use the equipment arrangement can be adjusted so that I have the most
convenient work space.

Think multiple bases for different pieces of equipment. While these

are not large pieces, I my vice, grinder, hand miter box, bolted to a 2
X. When I need the vice I pull it off the shelf and clamp it to my
workbench. Same with other tools on basis of this type

I have seen some work areas where larger tools are carouseled so as

you need the tool you rotate it into position, and use it.

Elevate: Some items that are traditionally floor mounted can be fixed

so they go up above something else rather than beside something.

I have seen a video where some put all of thier benches, racks, and

tools on wheels. When not in use evey thing fit aganst the wall. When
needed the tools, racks, and cabinets could be rolled into the best
ergonnomic positions

You can hava a lot of tools if you think outside of the traditional box.

If I did single projects from start to finish I could see the utility in
that. Now admittedly I do mostly metal working, but mine is a working
shop. At any given time I have 20 projects of my own and 30-40 customer
jobs on the projects board. Every machine I use has to be accessible
right now or it slows me down. If I had to move machines to get to
machines it would slow me down more than not having a machine I rarely
use and can use another machine for. That being said I am a big
believer in having more machines to get more work done. Even if I only
use it once in a while if its set up for a particular job it makes me
more efficient. If I have the space I won't sell a machine that I use
even if only occasionally. For example I have 4 drill presses. One is
used as most are. For whatever size hole I need to wallow in the next
piece of stock, two are semi permanently setup with automatic tapping
heads, and one is in the garage wood shop on the house so my wife and
son aren't tempted to come out to the shop and change the setup on one
of the working drill presses. For me the space for those drill presses
and having them IMMEDIATELY available is more valuable than the space
used by my RAS. Even if the RAS is on wheels (which it is) and I put it
behind those drill presses it costs me productive time to move it out
and use it, then move it back to make sure those drill presses are
accessible when I need them.

I am not saying a shop on wheels is a bad idea. I can see very much how
it would be useful to somebody trying to have a full wood shop in a two
car garage and still have room for the wife to park her car, so she
doesn't have your tools hauled away when you are at work. I am just
saying that its not always the best solution. For me I could buy a lot
of end mills for the used value of the RAS.

It doesn't help that I retired from contracting the end of 2016 and
still have tons of supplies on the "shelf." I need to sell a lot of
that off, but that takes time too.

Ultimately PuckDropper has to decide what is going to work the best for
him. Your alternative of a shop on wheels may well be the best answer,
but for me it would drive me crazy.

I do like some of the flip top machine stands. Where you have say a
thickness planer and a drum sander on one stand and you flip the top to
raise up whichever machine you need. Doesn't work so well for a drill
press that stands 5-6 feet tall, but it does make room for it. I saw
one setup on Youtube where the guy had several pieces of equipment in a
very large work table that could be turned up or turned down to leave
the table top flat. Even his table saw was part of that setup. If
somebody worked with a lot of sheet goods that would be an extremely
space efficient setup in spite of its large size.