Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Downsizing

On 9/13/2019 12:22 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 9/13/2019 8:54 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I don't have as much shop space any more, as my shop now has to share
duties with a garage.

So between a bandsaw, jointer, planer, RAS, table saw, and circular saw,
what tools can be combined to cover the basic operations we need to do?
Crosscut, rip, and maybe resaw.Â* I'm not sure I trust my RAS to rip,
it's missing important pieces like the anti-kickback pawls.

Puckdropper

I was just talking about this on Hobby Machinist in a thread titled
Least Used Machines.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...machines/page4
Â*I'd probably let the RAS go first.Â* Bandsaw would probably be the LAST
machine to go.Â* I happen to have 4 bandsaws and I use all of them.Â* LOL.
Â*Second to last would probably be the table saw.Â* If its a cabinet saw
with leaves or built into a central workstation it can do everything all
the other saws can do except curved cuts and cutting steel.

Before you get rid of anything, review ways you can mobilize your work
shop. I have seen garage workshops that are quite well equipped, but
because of the design the garage is capable of taking all of the wood
working equipment plus the cars.

Think of placing things on wheels" My workbench and table saw are on
wheels. When not in use they fit compactly along the Wall. When in
use the equipment arrangement can be adjusted so that I have the most
convenient work space.

Think multiple bases for different pieces of equipment. While these are
not large pieces, I my vice, grinder, hand miter box, bolted to a 2 X.
When I need the vice I pull it off the shelf and clamp it to my
workbench. Same with other tools on basis of this type

I have seen some work areas where larger tools are carouseled so as you
need the tool you rotate it into position, and use it.

Elevate: Some items that are traditionally floor mounted can be fixed so
they go up above something else rather than beside something.

I have seen a video where some put all of thier benches, racks, and
tools on wheels. When not in use evey thing fit aganst the wall. When
needed the tools, racks, and cabinets could be rolled into the best
ergonnomic positions

You can hava a lot of tools if you think outside of the traditional box.

--
Judge your ancestors by how well they met their standards not yours.
They did not know your standards, so could not try to meet them.