Jay Chan

Default Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation?

Far as I'm concerned, ridge vent is the best way to go. Far better than the
alternatives. And Owens-Corning has an edge vent that installs at the edge
of the roof to serve instead of soffit venting. I had one 30 years ago, had
to show the contractor how to do it. Certain-teed has a similar product.

I will let the roofing contractor to come up with a way to add
ventilation to my roof, and I will see if their proposal makes sense.
They may come up with a proposal to use ridge vent as you have
suggested. Currently, I am kind of pessimistic about this because the
space between the ceiling in the top floor and the roof surface
doesn't seem to have enough room for both ventilation and insulation.
I will see.

By now, if a contractor doesn't plan to fix inadequate ventilation, get the
phone book out again. Very simple, if there's inadequate venting, the
manufacturer warrantee is void, and you've got nothing.

Thanks for the warning.

By the way, before the roofing tearoff, cut the grass as close as you can.
Helps greatly when using the nail broom (long magnet on wheels for
collecting nails)

Thanks. The area surrounding the house are flower bed. I will need to
remove the mulch from the flower bed before the roofing people come.

Jay Chan