Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Downsizing

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 9/13/2019 10:54 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
I don't have as much shop space any more, as my shop now has to share
duties with a garage.

So between a bandsaw, jointer, planer, RAS, table saw, and circular saw,
what tools can be combined to cover the basic operations we need to do?
Crosscut, rip, and maybe resaw. I'm not sure I trust my RAS to rip,
it's missing important pieces like the anti-kickback pawls.

I tend to agree with what Bob posted with regard to the pecking order of
your tool disposal.

OTOH, if you really like your RAS, you have two options if you wish to
keep it. First, obviously, is to find the missing parts to re-enable
the anti-kickback mechanism. The second is to Jerry-rig an auxiliary
fence, used solely for ripping operations on the RAS and equip it with
these anti-kickback rollers. Board Buddies by trade name.

https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W11...dp/B0000223VK/

OR

http://tinyurl.com/y6zqvckk

Those board buddies look like they'd work nicely. The RAS is my most
accurate tool, I'm sure it will give me accurate rips as well as
crosscuts.

When ripping, do people add a temporary work surface as well as fence?
When cutting to different lengths, the RAS blade will make shallow
grooves in the table, I just want to keep my table in great shape for as
long as possible.

Puckdropper