Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Progress Report - Phase Converter, Plus

On 9/11/2019 7:04 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 9:32:18 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

The converter motor runs really quiet, I was surprised. ...

Kept _tryin'_ ta' tell ya'...

None of that hurts anything, but seems way overboard to me...what's
going to happen to a TEFC motor w/ a little airborne dust around?

I bought most of my stationary tools used in 1975 from a friends father.
He bought the tools new around 1954-ish. None of the tools (TS, BS, DP,
Jointer, jig saw, lathe) had TEFC motors. They all still run perfectly,
despite all the dust. The TS quit when I first got it as it was packed
with saw dust to the point the starter wouldn't engage. I ripped it
apart and cleaned it up, works perfect. I then placed an old nylon
stocking over the motor vent openings to keep out the large chunks of
saw dust. Has been working fine ever since. Never had any problems with
other motors. My dust collector, Planer, shaper, disk sander and belt
sander all have TEFC motors and of course no dust problems there either.

I'm not recommending non TEFC motor housings in a wood shop BUT, 65 or
so years in a wood shop, with 6 major wood tools means you should have
zero worries with a TEFC motor in your shop, w/o the need for elaborate
filters. I'd worry more about heat build up, but even that in your
situation is probably moot.

--
Jack