Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc
Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] is offline

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
On some makes, the cam position sensor can take over when the CPS
fails, and allow the engine to run in limp home mode.

Clever. In fact, so crucial is it that they ought to simply put another
sensor on the other end of the crankshaft :-)

Never quite understood the change from VR sensors to hall effect. VR,
being simply a coil, are far more heat resistant than hall. Electronics
that can get up to engine heat never a good idea IMHO.

My sister had one go on her dreadful Meriva while we were all out
somewhere. Then it would run for a few miles and then we'd have to let
it cool down all over again. I'm guessing it was a potted thing that
started to crack with heat and age.

A far cry from my old Tiger Cub where you would just turn the
distributor until it sounded happy, then nip it up. :-)

But you wouldn't need to put it on the other end of the crank. Simply on a
different part of the toothed wheel and compensate in the ECU.

Silly me :-)