Phil Sherrod

Default Power cost of idle electric water heater

On 29-Mar-2004, (m Ransley) wrote:

Maybe my water heater is different than yours but when i first turned it
on I wasn't here much showering 4 times a month or so , but my electric
went up 30$ apx

Well, the measurements I have indicate that if you used it none at all, you
would expect a monthly bill of about $6 (assuming 12 cents/kwh). Obviously, if
you actually consumed hot water from it, you bill would be higher. The EPA
estimated energy cost for my water heater is $401/year which works out to
$33/month for typical water use.

droped more than that when i went tankless.

As I recall, you said you switched from electric to gas when you went tankless.
That could explain a good bit of the difference.

You did the test for 3 hrs, that was with heated water right

Wrong: I did my test for 3 DAYS.