Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toshiba Netbook NB200

On 11/09/2019 07:57, Brian Reay wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/09/2019 20:10, Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/09/2019 19:53, wrote:
On Sunday, 8 September 2019 16:01:57 UTC+1, T i mĀ* wrote:

And he may well, until something goes wrong, then who is he going to
turn to, *friendly* Linux fanboys like you?

If you can't answer that you really don't have many clues about linux.
Your views so far don't contradict that.

Tim seems unable to accept that not everyone agrees with him. The OP
specifically asked about installing Linux.

Tim wades in and tells him about HIS failures with installing Linux to
meet the needs of others. He ignores the fact countless people install
and use Linux.

What ever you do, don't get him onto the subject of the gunge you can
squirt into car tyres.....

Just inject three or four points of sanity into the confusion.
- You can still get 32 bit linux in latest releases.
- linux + desktop will just about run in 256Mytes RAM, is usable at
512MBytes and starts to be friendly at 1GB.
- Linux itself is not the problem nor yet is the desktop. Its the apps
themselves. Thunderbird here is taking 256Mbyte RAM ON ITS OWN. Libre
office calc is around 50-100MB. Firefox is around 200Mbyte. On this
freshly booted desktop I am using 1.8GB or RAM for the linux + those
apps plus skype plus a reasinable amount of widgets. . Dumping all but
thunderbird nets me a shade over 1GB.
- the key elemnst to useabiklity IME are RAM, CPU power, Graphics
acceleration and disk speed. You cant do much with a lappie about CPU
and graphics - either they will allow you to watch a Flash video (the
biggest chewer of CPU+GPU I have encountered outside of real time games)
or they wont. RAM should be increase to bet the nmachine can get if you
have any spare compatibles lying around,. Often very cheap or free on
old machines. SSD disk will make a massive difference and the good news
is that you dont need much and it can always be taken out and used in
another machine.

- SSD disk is not only very fast to boot, and load programs but more
importantly itst very fast to SWAP in and out of - ten times faster than
ordinary disk. So a machine equippeed with it that is swapping is far
and away more usable than one without.
- Rarhertrhan argue on line, burning the latest 32 bit MInt Mate onto a
DVD and booting from it will reveal exactly how fast it will run firefox
and Flash, It its unusable, you have lost nothing but a couple of hours
and a burnable DVD. If it is usable even with current disk abd RAM, why
not install it.

The OP has an old machine he wants to use for basic functions.

I know that.

He doesnt need to install an SSD etc to do that.

I know that

Just a basic Linux which will run fine, be faster that XP, he doesnt need
to worry about XP no longer being supported etc...

I know that.
Just because YOU cant make Linux work, dont assume others cant.

I am probably one of the most konledgaable pole on here wrt to Linux and
Unix - my first unix experience was back in around 1986

What in my post makes you consider that I 'couldnt make it work?'

Or are you just being a random ****?

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.