Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Tracing path of jointed arm

On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 15:55:08 UTC+1, Davidm wrote:
Not even sure that's a good title - google didn't seem to find
anything relevant.
I've got a TV mounting bracket, with 3 pivot points:
- one on the plate that fixes to the back of the TV (it's
horizontrally central on the TV)
- one on the wall mounting plate
- and one where the two arms meet.
However the wall arm is twice the length of the TV arm,
so when the TV is pushed against the wall it's offset from the
centreline of the wall bracket.
Since I'm mounting the TV in an alcove, with not much clerance either
side, I want to plot out the "swing envelope" to check it will fit,
and just where to mount the wall plate.
Is there any bit of software (Windows) that will do this, or help in
some way, or might I just as easily knock up a dummy frame, mount the
bracket and add a piece of timber the width of the TV and trace the
thing out on a table top?

I've always been fascinated by how people design complex hinge
systems, when I can't even visualise a simple TV bracket's trajectory.

The reason for it is that when the TV is pushed back to the wall, the wall mount and the TV mount don't collide so the TV goes back much further.

It's easier to think about if you imagine the TV and wall to be always parallel.