Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Central heating - that time again

On 10/09/2019 00:21, jeikppkywk wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 09/09/2019 10:01, wrote:
On Monday, 9 September 2019 00:05:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)Â* wrote:

OK. So you prefer to freeze when getting up early?

I used to hate waking up with ice on the inside of the windows, but
as a kid you don't get to choose.

NT

I remember those days well. Single glazed metal crittall windows and
no fitted carpets or CH.

But I don't remember feeing cold.

I do, and remember riding my bike to school and ending up
with frozen ears in winter.

During the big freeze in 1963 we had no water for 6 weeks
(frozen underground metal mains pipe) and no school buses
for a while.

A group of us walked the two miles each way, and part of
the route was quite a steep hill, which was entertaining
because it was just sheet ice and packed snow. Councils
didn't seem to believe in putting salt on the roads in
those days, hence the lack of buses.