Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Uneven floor/skirting and kickboards

In article ,
wrote:
I've just spent half a day ****ing around with the router to get a 3m
length of kitchen unit kickboard fitting reasonably tidily on a quite
uneven floor. The floor doesn't look that uneven, but when you put a
long, straight edge on it, lumps and hollows everywhere. The unmolested
board was touching floor at each end and floating in air in the middle.
Trimming the ends, the touch points of the kickboard moved to various
points along its length; trim those and same again.

So, my question is: is there a better way to do it than rough
measurements, followed by many iterations of fine adjustment, to get
best fit? Against a hard surface (which this was), a kickboard or
skirting board with completely faithful reproduction of the contours of
the floor can look naff, drawing the eye to the unevenness. The trick
seems to be to go some way to accommodating the ups and downs, but
accepting that gaps between floor and board might be unavoidable for
best overall appearance.

I'm aware of bendy profile strips that can be used to reproduce uneven
surfaces, but I don't think that one of these would have helped over a
3m length.

What do pros do?

Start by levelling the floor. Makes far more sense than trying to get
things to fit afterwards.

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.