Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

On 09/09/2019 09:31, michael adams wrote:
"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 09/09/2019 08:55, tim... wrote:

we have already published our proposed scale of charges (Norman
probably knows where
it is)

and, from examples that have been discussed, for many items the
tariffs are much
lower than EU tariffs

It's he

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...exit-published

Those tarriffs are for imports. Which can indeed be set by the UK Govt.

Where are the UK Govt projections of the tarriffs likely to be imposed
on UK exports ?

Have they been published anywhere ?

They are the tariffs each country applies to imports of any goods.
You'll have to look
them up on a country-by-country basis.

But why should anyone have to look them up ?

To find out what they are of course, and to work out how much extra it it
will cost the consumers of their products in those countries.

It's not that hard.

The Govt are falling over themselves to publish the "good news" - hurrah
we're going to abolish tarriffs on imports so everything is going to be
cheaper

No, what it's said is that there won't be tariffs applied to 83% of all
the goods we import.

But are strangely silent on the tarriffs the RoW may impose on our
exports which
may render them uncompeteive. Don't you worry your pretty little heads
about
those - or look them up if you can find out where to look.

Exporters have to at the moment for exports to anywhere outside the EU.
One assumes they're big enough and ugly enough to do it, and don't need
their hands holding all the time. They're supposed to be businessmen for
goodness sake. It goes with the territory.

The level of complacency you show on this matter is astonishing and
leads one to wonder if you actually live in the real world at all.

It doesn't involve complacency at all.

You do realise I take it that come Oct 31st entire industries, firms
large and small
along with farmers etc are going to have to rethink their entire strategy
as to what
they do and how they go about it in respect of 43% of the UK's exports ?
Which in some cases may well be 100% of their exports.

No, they just have to look at the tariffs the EU imposes, and work out how
much extra, if anything, it's going to cost the consumers of their goods.

And given the lower pound, the buyers of their products wont necessarily
have to pay a higher price for what they export to the EU anyway.

They've had three years since the people of the UK warned them we were
going to leave the EU. There's no excuse for not being prepared.