Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Solar payments not as promised:(

On 09/09/2019 12:43, alan_m wrote:
On 09/09/2019 12:08, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , tony sayer
wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49566130

Gosh, I'm astonished. Anyone else astonished?

I suspect the same is going on with air sourced heat pumps for
domestic heating and hot water.

No. Of all the green **** I have analysefd a few things made sense.

Ground and to an extent air sourced heat pumps would, if run off nukes,
be cheaper than oil and comparable with gas.

Is this the nuclear electricity too cheap to meter?

Air sourced may only be sensible if you want domestic air conditioning
to get a cooler house in summer. However this could mean that an average
household will will be using more electricity than currently being
consumed. The system becomes much less efficient during the winter
months and running costs barely break even compared to gas or oil. Maybe
they will short term with the 7 year early adopter subsidy which is not
guaranteed if demand exceeds the money allocated. This assumes that you
have well insulated house and possibly replace an existing CH system.

Ground sourced can be viable but this costs more and care has to be
taken with the design of the installation, as some local councils have
found when implemented on some of their estates.

What the greenwash companies are pushing (mis-selling) is retro fitting
air sourced heat pumps to existing CH systems that are unlikely to to
have the savings claimed over other sources of heating, more so after
the subsidies end.

When the Greens come to power in the next general election we will end
up with more wind turbines and solar panel farms which will need to
supply a lot more electricity to power all of our CH and electric cars
as conventional fuels will be banned after 2025 in our zero carbon
society. No domestic gas or oil and with more expensive electricity and
then air sourced heat pumps fitted to your home will become cost effective.