Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Fixing defective DLP DMD chip?

On 2019/09/09 6:37 a.m., John-Del wrote:
On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 1:52:10 AM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
On 2019/09/08 6:41 p.m., John-Del wrote:
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 6:15:37 PM UTC-4, John Robertson wrote:
I've ordered a replacement display chip for our 2013 Benq MW519
projector and I see that the youtube folks say this Digital Mirror
Display can't be serviced.

So, being the contrary kind of person I am, I figure - well maybe it can?

Thus the question - has anyone here played with one of these and if so,
any success what so ever? Our display has (so far) 3 bad mirrors roughly
near the middle of the screen so somewhat annoying. I figure when I have
the replacement (eBay, used, there don't seem to be any new available)
in hand then I might be willing to experiment on the sick unit. Unlikely
that I can save it, but who knows?

Time will come to break out the binocular microscope and see what is
going on...

John :-#)#

I've changed a couple of hundred in Mitsubishi and Samsung rear projectors, and the DMD chips were Texas Instruments.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1524157252

From what the engineers told me, the mirror pivots fracture over time leaving some mirrors stuck open and some stuck closed (light and dark spots).

I had previously tried heating, cooling, and g-shocking the chips, but there was never any change.

I would never use a used DMD unless the customer is informed the replacement may very well start spitting out stars in mere months.

I am the end-user of the used DMD, I don't have a part number for the
original and so ended up buying a used one. I agree it won't be as
reliable as new, but without the part number I was hooped. And we are
losing one pixel a day now.

Are these still available as new or NOS?

Thanks,

John :-#)#

The ones for the Mitsu and Samsung (same part number) were as recently as 3 months ago when I got one from Mitsu, but supposedly TI is either eliminating production or already has. Does the one you need look like the one in the link I posted?

TI at least still lists it. I should have thought of searching on TI's
site before as I think this is the DMD I am looking for:

http://www.ti.com/dlp-chip/display-a...p1913=1280x800

or in tinyURL speak:

https://tinyurl.com/TI-DMD

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com