Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT If schools

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 9 September 2019 07:22:25 UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 08/09/2019 23:38, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 8 September 2019 12:59:36 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Or you could let the boys wear skirts if they want to. ;-)

There was a case where it happened en masse in response to some overly petty uniform rule changes.

In Australia it was

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...uniform-policy

Seems weird but OK, but then I am a Jock so the sight of a male in
a 'skirt' is not so offensive in my eyes. :O) And as a modern human
being I say let 'them' wear what they like as long as it is clean, in
good repair, legal etc .

I've never had much time for the whole uniform thing, seems petty &
pointless. None of 'my' schools had uniforms & it was never a problem.

One idea was it stopped kids being identified as coming from rich or poor
families by what they wore. And a uniform gives an identity to all.

While I can agree with that and definitely support having uniforms, it
used to be sufficient to have the school tie and a badge to sew onto
your blazer. Now it requires school blazer (not just badge), tie, a
couple of pull-overs, waterproof, PE bag, shorts, top, hoodie,
track-suit - all logoed and all bought from one of only two suppliers to
the school. The cost is way over what you'd pay for equivalent Tesco
items and they soon grow out of them.

SteveW