Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter Heger Walter Heger is offline

Default building an outside handrail

I am building an outside metal handrail because I was unhappy with the ones from Home Depot, Walmart, E-Bay and Lowes. You would think that EBay would have what I want, but it seems as if it is all the same things. The closest that I found was

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TuffBilt...-301717028-_-N
but it is not inclined.

I have a nice piece of chrome plated curved pipe (width of a US quarter coin) that I want to use for a nice house in a good neighborhood with an HMO. The hand rail would look like the greek letter "pi".
Unfortunately, I could not match it with matching straight pieces. I ended up buying an zinc plated electrical conduit. Is that too tacky. Should I paint everything black.

How do I join the upper section to the columns. I was thinking of using something like
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DeckoRai...5955/206687114
but that is not right either, as I want to join the center piece not at the ends but at 1/3 and 2/3rd along the top piece.
I was thinking of putting a large anchor into the end piece and putting a bolt down into it. Don't know how to get the bolt into the upper curved piece. Maybe shave off the ends along the column and put it into a drilled hole, and them insert and rotate the shaft Hopefully, it wont come undone.

My other idea was to spot weld the pieces together?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5oLPLUzrM
Would it get too hot off a 12 V battery? Do I need to get 2 car batteries?
Can I use a pair of eclipse lenses instead of a welding helmet?
Or do you think this is better left to someone at a weld shop?

I don't know if JB-Weld (JB would work with the temperature variations between the seasons?

I don't want the joints showing, so don't want an outer coupler.