Posted to alt.home.repair
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that justwouldn't seal after the final bead?

On 7/9/19 12:21 pm, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 09:16:04 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 7/9/19 4:13 am, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 1:30:33 PM UTC-4, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 16:27:19 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson wrote:

No mention in that article of using a flammable liquid or vapor to
seat the bead explosively. Plenty of stories about exploding tires on
split rims from improper technique which have nothing to do with fire.

This is why large truck tires on split rims are inflated in safety
cages.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts...it_Rim_Wheels/

Thank you for adding value to this discussion, as did Clare, and Amuzi,
where I was unfamiliar with this "split rim" concept until I read the
article you kindly referenced.

Apparently, from the safety alert at the bottom of your reference, these
"split rim" mountings are used mainly for LARGE commercial tires, is that
right?
https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts/2015/Large_Tyre_Inflation_Alert/

If so, I wonder what's different about large commercial tires?
o Obviously size is one thing - which could mean more energy
o The pressure per unit area "might" also be different
o Maybe mounting needs determined the reason for the split ring?

Bingo! It would be near impossible to force a big honking truck tire
over the lip of a rim and more so without damaging it.

What about large farm tractor tyres? They do not use a split rim,
instead use a well base, at least on all those I have changed in sizes
up to 6 or 7 feet in overall diameter. Done the changes with nothing
more than bead breaker, tyre levers and a rubber mallet. It's filling
them with water that's the real pain in the arse.

A tractor tire is pretty pliable compared to heavy equipment tires
(or aircraft tires - which often use "two piece" rims)

Yes, they are pliable, no argument there! ;-) Damn bulky though.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)