Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that just wouldn't seal after the final bead?

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 09:02:04 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 7/9/19 2:59 am, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 16:22:05 -0000 (UTC), "Arlen G. Holder"
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 07:45:47 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

What ever could go wrong?
https://ktla.com/2019/05/15/worker-d...f-los-angeles/

I looked to see WHY but the article doesn't say WHY the accident occurred.
"Authorities did not provide any additional information about the
incident which is being investigated by a number of agencies including
Cal/OSHA and the Los Angeles Port Police."

Since it occurred on MAY 15, 2019, we might be able to find something about
HOW it happened (e.g., were they using the flame method?).

This is one thing that's a problem with news, which is that they don't
bother to close the gap when they find out more, sometimes.

I searched for more information that was recent but haven't found it yet,
so we really don't know what happened.

It does seem like those BIG tires do kill workers though...
February 20, 2019
Worker Killed By Exploding Tire At John Wayne Airport
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/02/20/worker-killed-by-exploding-tire-at-john-wayne-airport/
"One worker was on top of the tire, and the other on the bottom, when it
exploded."

In both cases, I'd expect a report somewhere from Cal OSHA.

Here is a list of their main risks:
https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/shop-operations/training-resources/article/10628402/osha-releases-new-tire-training-resources

The old "split ring" rims were so dangerous it was illegal to
inflate/mount them without a cage - lots of guys just chained them but
I've seen them "jump the chain" - if you were within range it would
cut you in half !!

A chap in a haultruck workshop where I once worked once rode an
exploding rim up and over the roof beam of the workshop - and they were
tall enough to have the truck's dump tray fully up whilst within the
workshop. Surprisingly he survived but was horribly crippled.

I've seen cages badly damaged too - but have never seen or heard of
anyone being maimed or killed by a tire properly caged - or of one
"getting out".